His identity was released Sunday by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office. He suffered a gunshot wound to the head, said Dayton police Sgt. Larry Tolpin.
The other shooting victim, who is 18, was taken to the hospital but has since been released, according to hospital staff. A 17-year-old witness in the apartment at the time of the shooting told police he heard an argument and a scuffle, said Tolpin.
“We’re assuming at this point the victims were aware of who the possible shooter was,” Tolpin said.
Police have not released any suspect descriptions in connection with the shooting.
Danley’s death is recorded as the 18th homicide of the year in Dayton, according to city crime statistics. There were 31 homicides through the same period last year and 25 in 2010.
Police investigated 36 homicides in 2011, 32 in 2010 and 39 in 2009, according to DPD records.
Dolly Pollock, 55, has lived on Central Avenue for five years and saw authorities tape off the apartment building on Saturday after the shooting. She watched investigators come and go, and spoke with neighbors about the crime that hit so close to home.
“This is predominantly a senior citizens’ area,” she said. “Within the last year or two the young adults have started to come back in.”
Pollock, who said she is the mother of three sons, called Saturday’s events “shocking.”
“They’re grown,” she said of her sons, “but bullets don’t have names on them. This is scary.”
About the Author